UK high fidelity manufacturer, and turntable-design legend Rega has just released an update to it’s highly-capable RP6, and following the form of the last couple years with other turntable upgrades in the line, it is transitioning to the Planar 6 moniker.
Having owned an RP6, I can say that it held fast to the sonic qualities Rega turntables have become synonymous with: pace, rhythm, timing. resolution, musicality, and for good measure – affordability.
The new model looks to incorporate a slew of new features, and upgrades (one piece metal sub-platter for a start) that Rega owners had been asking to trickle down from the flagship models RP8, and RP10 for some time. Including the new Neo PSU looks to be a game-changer at this price point too (roughly $1,695 USD/$2,200 CAN is my guess). Having immensely enjoyed the three Rega ‘tables I’ve owned over the years, and considering that the original Planar 3 is probably still the best bargain in hifi since it’s introduction in 1977, I can say with confidence that Rega continues to supply value for money in this industry.
I’m looking forward to hearing what the new Planar 6 sounds like in the months to come. The new Ania MC cartridge looks to be fitted as a cost-conscience package deal in keeping with previous deals.
Press release below:
The Planar 6 has one goal, to reproduce your vinyl as accurately as possible. We have engineered every aspect of this turntable to extract as much detail from the vinyl surface as possible. Advanced materials and engineering solutions have been used throughout the design to ensure the greatest level of performance.The Neo PSU offers electronic speed change, advanced anti-vibration control and user adjustable electronic fine speed adjustment only found on the RP10 until now. S
The Planar 6 is built around the huge success of the RP8 and RP10 turntables. It is the first new Rega turntable to be constructed with an ultra lightweight foam core plinth. This material is sandwiched between a new HPL (high pressure laminate) which is exceptionally thin but extremely rigid and presented in a stunning matt Polaris grey finish with high gloss polymer, black edge trim.The Planar 6 now benefits from a single piece, machined aluminum sub-platter and custom drive pulley fitted with our upgrade drive belt as standard.
The Neo PSU uses the RP10 DSP (digital signal processing) generator built upon a high stability crystal. The DSP generator will divide the accurate signal from the crystal to the exact frequency required to turn the platter at the selected speed. The DSP generator will also produce a near perfect sinusoidal waveform to drive the motor. This, along with an efficient drive amplifier, generates a 24V AC balanced signal of less than 0.15% distortion, which is completely un-affected by any changes in the mains/line voltage and conditions. This then drives the turntables anti-vibration circuit, which is situated beneath the turntable.
The Planar 6 will be available with the recommended Ania MC factory fitted as an attractive package.
Height 120mm (Dustcover closed)
Dimensions Neo PSU
- NEO power supply.
- Super lightweight foam core plinth.
- Plinth laminate: New Polaris HPL (high pressure laminate). Non-marking matt finish scratch resistant high rigidity skin.
- Available in one finish ‘Polaris Grey’ matt finish with high gloss black polymer edge trim.
- Upgrade white drive belt fitted as standard.
- Custom dual layer smoked / clear float glass platter.
- Single piece aluminium sub platter.
- Custom machined high precision drive pulley.
- Patent pending, ultra-low friction central brass hub.
- Rega’s double brace technology, with integral custom matched aluminium tonearm and hub pillars to ensure maximum rigidity and accuracy.
- RB330 handmade precision tonearm with custom stainless weight.
- New high spec Rega 24v low noise synchronous motor – each motor matched by hand to its own NEO PSU ensuring optimum anti-vibration control.
- New smoked dust cover.
- New aluminium foot trims and Planar style feet.
- Available with Ania MC cartridge factory fitted.