The crew members here at Part-Time Audiophile are busy making their lists and checking them twice. Rather than picking out toys, sweaters and bad ties, however, we’ve been selecting the audio components that jingled our bells in 2017.
In a few weeks, we’ll share our selections with you. But we thought this year we’d add something new. We want to know about the most outstanding gear that you, dear readers, heard this year.
So, in the comment section of this specific post, either on the PTA website or PTA’s Facebook page, tell us the one best component you heard all year. This should be a piece of gear introduced in 2017. A sentence or two (no essays) explaining your choice would be nice, too, if you like.
Much to our delight, AudioQuest is making this write-in opportunity even more fun by providing PTA with an AQ DragonFly Red USB DAC/headphone amp (a $199 USD retail value) to give away to one lucky reader. Here’s the spec sheet of what the winner will receive:
- USB stick-sized digital-to-analog converter
- Plays all music files: MP3 to high-res
- Compatible with Apple and Windows PCs, as well as iOS and most Android mobile devices (requires Apple Camera Adapter or Made for Android/OTG adaptor)
- Drives headphones directly
- Fixed output feeds preamp or AV receiver
- Asynchronous transfer ensures digital timing integrity
- High output (2.1 volts) drives almost all headphones, including power-hungry models
- 32-bit ESS 9016 DAC with minimum-phase filter
- Bit-perfect digital volume control
Pretty cool, huh? A random drawing will be held to select the winner of the DragonFly. To be eligible, simply submit your component of the year pick as described above. Everyone who does so by the deadline will be entered in a random drawing. We must be able to notify you through your comment ID or through Facebook. Only comments with a single pick will qualify. No multiple entries.
Read the official rules and submit your pick by 11:59 p.m. CST Saturday, Dec. 16. We’ll tally up the responses and reveal the reader favorite, along with our own pick for product of the year and selections of other top gear for 2017, based on our in-home reviews, show visits and other auditions.
How will the picks match up? Will there be any consensus between you and PTA’s editors and writers? Will Santa bring you your selection? We can’t answer that last question, but we’re looking forward to sharing the results for the other two, as well as selecting a winner of the DragonFly Red.