Our reputation is generally one of “we don’t give a hoot about home theater happenings” — and it’s probably a bit true, thinking ourselves to be superior for our specifically stereo (5.1–3.1= STEREO) ways.
Tis not always the case.
McIntosh announced a future ready MX180 A/V Processor today, and we’re more than excited about the specs and bevy of integrated technologies on the horizon. Maybe it’s true what they say, “The sun never sets on the McIntosh empire.”
McIntosh Announces New MX180 A/V Processor
Offers 8K Video, Enhanced HDMI Features, and 16 Audio Channels
(Binghamton, NY) February 16, 2022 – McIntosh is proud to announce its MX180 A/V Processor that delivers exceptional performance for the home theater of today and tomorrow. With an increasing number of movies being released direct to home streaming, a state-of-the-art – and future ready – home theater processor is needed so viewers can be fully immersed in the movie experience. Thanks to its advanced customization and processing capabilities, the MX180 allows for the full enjoyment of today’s 4K video plus tomorrow’s 8K content.
MX180 HIGHLIGHTED FEATURES:
- Supports 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz on all 7 Ultra-High-Speed HDMI ports (5 inputs and 2 outputs)
- Each HDMI port supports HDCP 2.3, 4:4:4 Color, Rec. 2020, Dynamic Lip-sync, and 3D Video pass-through as well as enhanced features Auto Low
- Latency Mode (ALLM), Quick Frame Transport (QFT), Quick Media Switching (QMS), and Variable Refresh Rate (VRR)
- Supports a numerous high dynamic range formats including HDR (static HDR), Dynamic HDR, HDR10+, HLG, and Dolby Vision (including low latency)
- Includes 16 balanced audio outputs for popular 15.1 or 9.1.6 surround sound speaker configurations among others
- Compatible with leading 3D surround sound formats including Dolby® Atmos, DTS:X® Pro, and Auro-3D®
- The 2 HDMI outputs can simultaneously output one source material to two separate screens, or can output different content from two different sources to two separate screens
- One HDMI output that features both Audio Return Channel (ARC) and Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC) functionality
- Comes with sophisticated RoomPerfect™ room correction technology to measure and adjust the audio output to compensate for the specific acoustic properties for the space
- Includes a variety of digital and analog inputs and outputs including a Moving Magnet phono input
The MX180 features some of the latest analog to digital convertor technology to maximize the audio quality of analog sources. Bass and treble controls offer further audio fine-tuning. The MX180 also has a two-channel Zone B output to send audio to a second zone in the house.
The MX180 utilizes the latest technological advancements in processing power to run cooler than previous McIntosh home theater processors and has a robust and simplified setup program that allows for customization and optimization based on specific home theater and speaker needs. It comes with the iconic McIntosh design of a black glass front panel, control knobs, illuminated logo and custom aluminum end caps. The MX180 can be paired with a variety of amplifiers and speakers to make up a complete home theater system.
Pricing and Availability
Orders for the MX180 can now be placed with Authorized McIntosh dealers. Shipping is expected to begin in February 2022 to the United States and Canada, and to the rest of the world shortly thereafter. Suggested retail price (VAT, shipping and any customs duties related to current standards of individual countries are excluded): $17,000 USD.
Founded in 1949, McIntosh Laboratory, Inc. is known for offering distinguished quality audio products, superior customer service and the ultimate experience in music and film. All McIntosh products are handcrafted at the Binghamton, NY factory by over 150 employees with a passion for music and the McIntosh heritage. McIntosh continues to define the ultimate home entertainment experience for discriminating consumers around the world, with the iconic “McIntosh Blue” Watt Meters globally recognized as a symbol of quality audio. Since its inception, McIntosh has been powering some of the most important moments in music history and pop culture. From President Lyndon Johnson’s inauguration speech to Woodstock to the famous Grateful Dead “Wall of Sound,” McIntosh has not only witnessed history, it has shaped it. With McIntosh, customers have the ability to create their own premium audio experience – and truly live their music. Visit www.mcintoshlabs.com to learn more.