Touted as their “Biggest Integrated Amplifier” (which is really saying something), McIntosh Labs is today launching another battleship of an amp, this time an integrated going by the moniker MA9000. With 300 watts per channel, two balanced inputs, six unbalanced inputs, MC, and MM phono stages (with adjustable loading), two coaxial, two optical, USB, MCT, and a modular bay system for future-proofing/upgrading, the MA9000 looks set to deliver the McIntosh equivalent of an all-in-one for true audiophile purists.
Press release below:
The Biggest Integrated Amplifier from McIntosh
Binghamton, NY – July 6, 2017– McIntosh, the global leader in prestigious home entertainment and ultimate-quality audio for over 65 years, is proud to announce the MA9000 Integrated Amplifier. Our largest integrated in both size and power, it offers 300 watts per channel and combines our amplifier and preamplifier expertise into one comprehensive unit.
There’s enough inputs and outputs on the MA9000 to last a lifetime. The 10 analog connections are comprised of two balanced and six unbalanced inputs plus one Moving Coil and one Moving Magnet phono inputs. Both phono inputs feature adjustable loading for fine tuning of vinyl playback. All unbalanced analog connectors are made from premium gold-plated solid brass for superior signal handling and grounding. On the digital side, two coax, two optical, one USB and one MCT input are all housed in our new DA1 Digital Audio Module; the DA1 can be easily replaced by future modules to keep the MA9000 up to date as new digital audio formats and technologies are developed. The DA1 utilizes a powerful 8-channel, 32-bit Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC) used in Quad Balanced mode. High resolution DSD256 and DXD 384kHz is supported via the USB input while the coax and optical inputs will decode music up to 24-bit/192kHz. All inputs can be given custom names for user-friendly system control and configuration.
The MA9000 features our new McIntosh Monogrammed Heatsinks™ that are made from high quality materials with excellent thermal conductivity properties. They are so efficient at dissipating heat that they warrant bearing the McIntosh “Mc” logo. They also have a higher quality finish thanks to a new manufacturing process. They are connected to advanced high current output transistors that eliminate thermal equilibrium lag time (or warm-up time), meaning the first note played will sound just as good as those played later in the listening session.
New, more powerful control microprocessors have been used in the MA9000 to improve overall system operation. Some of the latest audio-grade circuit components have also been utilized to allow the MA9000 to deliver the best sound possible. At 300 watts-per-channel, the MA9000 has enough power to properly drive virtually all loudspeakers – and our renowned McIntosh Autoformer guarantees the speakers will always receive that full 300 Watts regardless if they have 2, 4 or 8 Ohm impedance. Other McIntosh features included in the MA9000 are:
- Power Guard® that monitors and adjusts the sound wave at the speed of light to prevent harsh sounding distortion and clipping that could damage the speakers.
- Sentry Monitor™ is our fuse-less short-circuit protection circuit that disengages the output stage before current exceeds safe operating levels and then resets automatically when operating conditions return to normal.
- Home Theater PassThru that allows for seamless integration into a home theater system.
- High Drive headphone amplifier with Headphone Crossfeed Director (HXD®) which can bring an added dimension to headphone listening.
- A discrete, eight-band tone control that allows for advanced manual analog adjustment of favorite recordings.
- Power Control to send power on/off signals to connected McIntosh components for easy system power up and shutdown.
- Our patented Solid Cinch™ speaker binding posts that easily but securely attach the speaker cables to prevent them from coming loose and possibly causing a short; the binding posts are also gold-plated to prevent corrosion and ensure a quality signal is sent to the speakers.
The entire unit is wrapped in the classic McIntosh aesthetic with blue watt meters, a black glass front panel, control knobs, illuminated logo, aluminum end caps with built-in handles and a beautiful polished stainless steel chassis.
Pricing and Availability
We are now accepting orders for the MA9000 with shipping expected to begin in July.
Suggested retail price (VAT, shipping and any customs duties related to current standards of individual countries are excluded): $10,500 USD.